We've been battling winter chills this week. By Friday we've had enough soup! The next best thing.... Shepherdless Pie!
A vegetarian version of the perennial family favourite.
Preparation: 15 minutes (+ overnight soaking and 20- 40 minutes bean cooking)
Cooking Time: 1 hr
knife, chopping board, large saucepan, measuring cup, wooden spoon, grater, potato masher, vegetable peeler, ovenproof dish or foil tray.
300gm Dried Adzuki beans, soaked overnight, rinsed and cooked till soft
¼ cup Olive Oil
2 Onions, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 Carrots, grated
1 Capsicum, finely chopped
2 Celery sticks, finely chopped
2 Zucchini, grated
400gm Pumpkin grated (optional)
2 Bay leaves
1 tablespoon Oregano
1 tin Tomatoes
2 tablespoons Tomato puree
Salt & Pepper to taste
6 Potatoes, peeled, boiled in salted water and mashed
Butter + milk for mashed potatoes (optional)
1. Drain the adzuki beans well.
2. Gently fry the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and capsicum in olive oil till softened.
3. Add the herbs and the zucchini and pumpkin cook a further 5 mins.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and stir through.
5. Add the adzuki beans and cook 10mins till flavours have combined.
6. Season well and spoon into oven dish.
7. Top with an even layer of mashed potato.
8. Bake at 180C for 30mins till top is golden.
Sprinkle with grated cheese or add slices of tomatoes under the mashed potatoes.
This recipe is suitable for freezing. Bring dish to a cool temp as quickly as possible and cover well before freezing. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and bake as usual.