Sunday, May 29, 2011
It's a great day for...
Greek Lentil Soup
GREEK LENTIL SOUP
This rich lentil soup is traditionally served with a drizzle of red wine vinegar and olive oil.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45- 60 mins
Equipment: chopping board, knife, vegetable peeler, garlic press, large pot and ladle.
375gm lentils, washed and picked over
½ cup olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery, stalks and leaves –chopped
½ red or green capsicums
1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
2 tablespoon tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoon oregano
3 litres vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoon parsley, chopped to garnish
¼ cup virgin olive oil, extra for drizzling
Red wine vinegar for drizzling (optional)
1. Place lentils in a pot, just cover with water and boil for 10 minutes whilst preparing the other ingredients.
2. In a large pot heat oil and gently fry the onion, carrot, celery, capsicum and garlic for 5 minutes .
3. Add the bay leaves, oregano and pepper.
4. Drain lentils and add them to the vegetables along with the stock, tinned tomatoes and tomato paste.
5. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 30- 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley and drizzle with a splash of olive oil and a dash of good red wine vinegar.
Accompanied with bread, fetta and olives it forms a satisfying and complete meal.