Thursday, May 12, 2011
Vegetarian Pad Thai
Rice noodle dish traditionally sold by street hawkers. This vegetarian version substitutes mushroom soy sauce for the ubiquitous fish sauce. If you haven't got any just use regular soy sauce.
Serves: 2 individual serves or 4 as part of a meal
Preparation: 15 minutes (excluding noodles soaking 10 mins)
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
knife, chopping board, wok, measuring cup, 2 large spoons or spatulas for tossing noodles, small bowl for rubbish, vegetable peeler.
2 tablespoons White sugar
1 tablespoon Tamarind paste
2 tablespoon Thai Mushroom Soy Sauce (or fish sauce if you like it)
½ packet Thai Rice Noodles (Rice Stick) soaked in warm water till slightly soft
1 tablespoon Canola oil
½ Small onion, finely sliced
100 grams Firm bean curd, 1 cm dice and deep fried and drained on paper
1 cup Bean sprouts, washed well and trimmed (reserve some for garnish)
1 Baby Bok Choy, cut into long wedges and washed well
½ bunch Chinese chives, cut into 5cm lengths (reserve some for garnish)
¼ cup Coriander leaves, washed (reserve some for garnish)
1 teaspoon Roasted chilli powder
2 tablespoons Crushed roasted peanuts or cashews
1 lime, cut into 2 wedges, “thai style”
2 teaspoon roasted chilli powder
Chinese chives, coriander leaves and bean sprouts
Sauce: Simmer sauce ingredients for 1-2 minutes till sugar is dissolved.
1. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat and fry onion till slightly coloured.
2. Crack in eggs and stir till just set.
3. Add tofu, bok choy stir and then the drained noodles
4. Turn up the heat and allow the noodles to colour.
5. Add sauce, chilli powder and simmer further 1-2 min
6. Add most of the bean sprouts, chives till wilted, adjust seasoning for sweet, sour, salty & spice.
Serve: Pile on a plate with bean sprouts, chives, coriander, lime wedge, peanuts & chilli powder